The word “Goliath” is defined by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000 as “A person or thing of colossal power or achievement.” The dictionary acknowledges that the origin of the word is from the biblical passage in 1 Samuel 17. I use the word “Goliath” to mean something that is very big, enormous, gigantic, and overwhelming. Goliath can stand for anything that is in front of you that you see as an obstacle. I speak of Goliath problems to mean big problems.
Each of us faces a Goliath in life. Your Goliath may be different from my Goliath. Yet, they are Goliath that come to us in almost the same areas of life. There are financial Goliaths. So also there are Goliaths of sickness. Some people are experiencing a Goliath of failure. For some it is a Goliath of poverty. Yours may be a Goliath of the fear of the past or a Goliath of the fear of the future. Maybe it is a Goliath of inferiority complex that you face. It may even be a Goliath of failure in relationships. You make friends but you do not know how to keep them.
Whatever Goliath that you face I came to inform you that you can have victory over that Goliath. You are taller than your Goliath. Your Goliath is smaller than you. You are more capable than your Goliath. You can outlive your Goliath. Your Goliath will die out and you will continue to exist. You will become a champion over your Goliath.
Run towards that Goliath. Do not be afraid of that Goliath. All that glistens is not gold. Something may be very big outwardly but it may be hollow inside. You have a power that your Goliath lacks. Your Goliath comes from below, but you come from above. Your Goliath cannot stop you. Let me suggest to you some practical steps or keys that you can use to conquer your Goliath:
- Always depend on God’s power in confronting your Goliath, not on your own strength.
- Realize that this power already lives in you; it is for you to use it.
- Know the specific and kind of Goliath you are facing.
- Do not be intimidated by the size of your goliath.
- Let the reward you will receive encourage you to face your Goliath.
- Do not run backward or away from you Goliath; go and confront it.
- Listen to the report of God, not the report of people. People will discourage you from fighting your Goliath. Many good things in life would not have been achieved if people listened to voices of discouragement.
- There are 5 smooth stones to kill every Goliath. You have the power in the blood of Jesus, the power name of Jesus, the power of the Holy Ghost, the prayer of agreement with believers, and the power in the word of God.
- The 5 letters in the name of Jesus have tremendous power, for there is no other name given among people by which you can be delivered but by the name of Jesus.
- Make use of the weapons of our warfare as in Ephesians 6:10-18. Weapons are to be used not to be stored away.
- Do not depend on the weapons of Saul but on the weapons of God.
- Always go to battle with your shepherd’s bag. The shepherd’s bag is the word of God.
- There is no time to waste, be the first to strike your Goliath before it strikes you. Hit your Goliath before it hits you. It is either you kill you Goliath or you run the risk of being killed by your Goliath.